Monday 29 February 2016

Dolce

I have wanted a dog for about 5 years now. Ever since I thought the kids were old enough to appreciate a pet, as I wanted them to have a little friend. It was all about them. We have loved other people's dogs, but with all of us out of the house during the day, it just didn't feel right.

Then I got diagnosed with ALS, and everything changed. I didn't want the dog for the kids anymore (though I still thought it would bring them joy), I wanted one for me. After needing to leave work in October and being home full time by myself, I got lonely. The house was too quiet, no young kids needing my attention, and not enough energy to get done all the things I really wanted to do.

I knew a puppy would be a lot of work, but I needed to be needed. I needed a reason to wake up, I needed a purpose in the simplest way. I know my kids still need me, but with teenagers, it's a different kind of need.

When we talked about is as a family Sophia was not keen on getting a dog. For the most part Matteo was indifferent, but was not interested in walking a "little dog". And Dino, well, he wasn't excited about the idea but he was willing to do it for me. So the decision was made, we were getting a puppy, and I was so excited!

I knew I would need a small dog, one that I could keep up with and manage with one hand. I needed a dog I could take care of on my own, I didn't want to put any more on Dino or the kids. I had wanted a lab or retriever (cause seriously, who doesn't?) but that was going to prove to be too much dog for me. Plus I really didn't want all the hair and smell that comes with a big dog. A friend has a Yorkie that I love; and when she told me the breeder she got hers from had puppies for sale I jumped at the chance.

I contacted the breeder in North Vancouver and she sent me pictures of the litter. To my surprise, the puppies didn't look like Yorkies, I hadn't realized they were bred with a Maltese. They were just the cutest things. In fact, the first time I saw Dolce, whom we eventually picked, she had a little pink bow in her hair. She was soooooo cute.

Dolce's mom is a 6lb Maltese, her dad, a 3 lb Yorkie. A few days after Christmas, we hopped on the ferry to Vancouver to pick up the newest member of our family. An 8 week old Morkie puppy weighing in at 1.4 lbs. She was just a white ball of super soft fluff that filled us all with love upon first meeting her. Dolce means sweet in Italian; and no other name could better describe this little cherub of ours.

That ferry ride home was filled with love. She was so very tiny, she was hard to hold onto. We all felt so protective over her. Sophia held her the entire ferry crossing. And when we got home and introduced her to Matteo he couldn't get over how small she was. It was love at first sight for all of us.

That first night she whimpered and cried a bit, but we would pick her up and hold her and then she would fall back asleep. She slept a lot those early days but we are now two months in and boy has she changed.

She is weighing in these days at a hefty 2.5 lbs and is so much more feisty. I know that she was meant to be our dog. She is sweet and cuddly for me and yet still playful with the kids. She's very smart and trainable. She seems to sense when I am having a tired day. On those days, she cuddles up with me to sleep and her play time is much more gentle; her puppy bites are softer, like she knows I am not up for a full bore play.

She is a low maintenance loving dog. She makes people happy. Everyone wants to pet her, to hold her. She loves long walks on the beach and a glass of merlot from time to time. Just kidding. Making sure you are still paying attention.

I've never been a dog owner before. I get it now. I get how people treat them like their first borns, and gush over them and want to show them off and bombard people with way too many pictures. Speaking of which, that is just what I am about to do. So, with no further adieu. This is Dolce...

Ferry ride home

Early day snuggles

Dino is the friendly giant next to her. 

And the selfies begin...
                                                 
My sous chef

I mean seriously?!

Checking Louie out.
(Oh yeah, we have a budgie too. Kinda taking a back seat these days.) 

Told you she liked long walk on the beach. 

"But Mom...I don't want to take a nap."

Louie and Dolce getting better acquainted. 

.

3 comments:

  1. OMG OMG OMG! Miss Dolce is too damn cute for her own britches. Thanks so much for sharing the pictures. My Ella is almost 12 years old now. She is a Maltese poodle and has given me JOY beyond belief. I love how you GUSHED about your puppy and I am so glad she can give you extra JOY right now. I still think about you so often and wished I would have made it to out to see you a few months back during your fund raising. When will you be going to ITALY? SOON?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dolce is very cute Lisa and yes a dog becomes a part of your family. I love how you describe her and gush over her. She is a very sweet dog.
    Enjoy your trip to Italy, everyone must be getting so excited. It was good too see you at Jacki's too. Enjoy your little bundle of fluff :-)
    Thinking of you all
    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG Lisa, she is getting bigger if that is possible, lol She is really so sweet and you can bring her to visit anytime!:-) I am so glad she brings more happiness and love into your days! It's getting time for another visit soon! I am sure your getting your last minute plans together for your exciting trip! Can't wait to hear all about it when your back home and share in all the pictures and memories your going to make! Have the best time ever my friend!! Love always, your friend Jacki :-) xo

    ReplyDelete